October 23, 2008

The Moroccan Won't Give Up...

You'd think Marian Dragulescu would be a bit depressed after all the bad press he's had over the last few weeks (see here and here). You'd be wrong, though. The Moroccan, as Dragulescu is known in Romania, is feeling great. So great, in fact, that he may well reconsider his decision to retire from competitive gymnastics.

Photobucket

ProSport reports that Dragulescu is doing extremely well in the German Bundesliga, where he represents KTV Straubenhardt, Fabian Hambüchen's club. In the club's first three competitions, Dragulescu competed on floor and vault, obtaining the league's top scores on the latter event: 16.500 in the first two competitions, and 16.300 in the third one. "I feel incredible," Dragulescu told ProSport. "The last two competitions were attended by 1,500 spectators. This Saturday I'll also compete on my third apparatus, high bar. I want to help the team win the national title, because they believed in me and asked me to come and join their team."

Dragulescu is doing so well in the Bundesliga that he'd like to continue his career on the Romanian team, despite his earlier announcement that he would retire. "I've discussed it with the Federation people, and they've told me they're awaiting my decision. In December, after the last Bundesliga competition, I'll know for sure." He went on to say, "I'm having trouble retiring. I live for this sport. If it were up to me, I'd stick around for a few more years, but we'll see how it goes. Right now I'm feeling great, so I've told myself I can go on for a bit longer."

According to ProSport, Dragulescu is not actually living in Germany at the moment. He continues to train twice a day with his former teammates at the Lia Manoliu gym in Bucharest, and flies to Germany every weekend to compete for KTV Straubenhardt.

No comments:

Post a Comment